Back to Hotels & Taverns
The Wyoming Valley Hotel, which followed the Phoenix, was opened for business in the spring of 1866 by the Messrs. Ward of Philadelphia and was conducted on the plane of a first class city hotel.
During the summer season, in the first few years of its existence, it was filled with summer visitors from the cities. An orchestra was maintained and dancing indulged in every evening and sometimes in the forenoon.
Evidently the pace was a little too fast. After several years the Wards sold out to Mr. Stark, who thereafter conducted the house as a first-class business hotel, eliminating all the features of a summer resort.
After the erection of the Sterling, with all its modern appointments, the Wyoming Valley lost patronage and was demolished. (George R. Bedford - Early Recollections)
March 26, 1908
Wyoming Valley Hotel Register Has Closed
Famous Old Hostelry and Landmark Prepares for the Final Hours
The Wyoming Valley Hotel, which was opened nearly a half century ago, closed forever to the public last night at midnight.
The Wyoming Valley Hotel is one of the oldest and best known houses in this section of the State, and its closing is therefore of more than ordinary interest. The hotel was erected in 1865-66 at a cost of $175,000. Ward & Co. were the first owners. They conducted the hostelry for several years and leased it to S. D. Dennon, who was in charge for 10 years. The place then came under the management of J. B. stark, deceased, and before Henry Lazarus purchased it, it was owned by the Stark estate.
On the site of the Wyoming Valley Hotel there was an old hostelry known as the Phoenix House. It was erected in 1831 and was torn down in 1864 to make room for the present structure.
Mr. Lazarus, who is still in charge of the hotel, is given until April 15 to dispose of the furnishings, which will be sold at auction. The Lehigh & Wilkes-Barre Coal Co., which purchased the building, will then begin tearing down the structure. (Wilkes-Barre Times - Newspaper Article)